Dr. William Marelich's research interests and publications address decision-making strategies in health settings, patient/provider interactions, HIV/AIDS, and statistical/methodological approaches in experimental and applied research. He has over 65 peer-reviewed publications, including the book, "The Social Psychology of Health" with Jeff Erger, and is an Editorial Board Member for the International Journal of Adolescence and Youth. He also has an interest in Sports Psychology with applications to baseball.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Group Processes
- Health Psychology
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Marelich, W. D., & Erger, J. (Eds). (2004). The social psychology of health: Essays and readings. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Marelich, W.D., Lundquist, J., Painter, K., & Mechanic, M.B. (2008). Sexual deception as a social-exchange process: Development of a behavior-based sexual deception scale. The Journal of Sex Research, 45, 27-35.
- Rotheram-Borus, M. J., Marelich, W. D., & Srinivasan, S. (1999). Risk for HIV among homosexual, bisexual, and heterosexual male and female youth. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 28, 159-177.
- Murphy, D. A., Marelich, W. D., Hoffman, D., & Steers, W. N. (2004). Predictors of antiretroviral adherence. AIDS Care, 16, 471-484.
- Murphy, D. A., Marelich, W. D., & Hoffman, D. (2002). A longitudinal study of the impact on young children of maternal HIV serostatus disclosure. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 7, 55-70.
- Marelich, W.D., Shelton, E., & Grandfield, E. (2013). Correlates and factor replication of the Need for Sexual Intimacy Scale (NSIS). Electronic Journal of Human Sexuality, 16. Retrieved from http://www.ejhs.org/volume16/NSIS.html
- Marelich, W. D., Roberts, K. J., Murphy, D. A., & Callari, T. (2002). HIV/AIDS patient involvement in antiretroviral treatment decisions. AIDS Care, 14, 17-26.
- Marelich, W.D., Murphy, D.A., Payne, D.L., Herbeck, D.M., & Schuster, M.A. (2012). Self-competence among early and middle adolescents affected by maternal HIV/AIDS. International Journal of Adolescence and Youth, 17, 21-33.
- Marelich, W. D., & Murphy, D. A. (2003). Effects of empowerment among HIV-positive women on the patient-provider relationship. AIDS Care, 15, 475-481.
- Marelich, W. D., Gaines, S. O., & Banzet, M. (2003). Commitment, insecurity, and arousability: Testing a transactional model of jealousy. Representative Research in Social Psychology, 27, 23-31.
- Gaines, S. O., Marelich, W. D., Bledsoe, K. L., Steers, W. N., Henderson, M. C., Granrose, C. S., Barajas, L., Hicks, D., Lynde, M., Takahashi, Y., Yum, N., Rios, D. I., Garcia, B. F., Farris, K. R., & Page, M. S. (1997). Links between race/ethnicity and cultural values as mediated by racial/ethnic identity and moderated by gender. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 72, 1460-1476.
- Marelich, W.D., & Lundquist, J. (2008). Motivations for sexual intimacy: Development of a needs-based sexual intimacy scale. International Journal of Sexual Health, 20, 177-186.
- Marelich, W. D., & Clark, T. (2004). Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) testing and false disclosures in heterosexual college students. Journal of American College Health, 53, 109-115.
- Marelich, W. D. (2002). Effects of behavior settings, extradyadic behaviors, and interloper characteristics on romantic jealousy. Social Behavior and Personality, 30, 785-794.
- Grusky, O., Marelich, W. D., Erger, J., Mann, T., Roberts, K. J., Steers, W. N., & Damesyn, M. (2003). Evaluation of a brief low-cost intervention to improve antiretroviral treatment decisions. AIDS Care, 15, 681-687.
- Marelich, W. D., & Rotheram-Borus, M. J. (1999). From individual to social change: Current and future directions of health interventions. In T.P Gullotta, R. L. Hampton, G. R. Adams, B. A. Ryan, & R. P. Weissberg (Eds.), Child and family health care: Issues for the year 2000 and beyond (Vol 12, pp. 169-196). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Marelich, W. D., Grusky, O., Mann, T., Erger, J., & Roberts, K. J. (2000). Biomedical markers, adherence myths, and organizational structure: A two-stage model of HIV healthcare provider decision making. In J. Kronenfeld (Ed.), Research in the Sociology of Health Care (Vol. 17, pp. 99-117). Stamford, CT: JAI.
- Marelich, W.D. (2007). Cognitive consistency theories. In R. F. Baumeister & K.D. Vohs (Eds.), Encyclopedia of social psychology. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Marelich, W.D. (2010). Trend analysis. In N.J. Salkind (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Research Design (pp. 1535-1537). Thousand Oaks, CA. Sage.
William D. Marelich
Fullerton, California 92834
- Phone: (657) 278-4861
- Fax: (657) 278-7134
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org